The ancient name of Amravati is “Audumbaravati”, in Prakrit, “Umravati”. The variant “Amravati” is the presently accepted name. It is said that Amravati is named after its ancient Ambadevi temple. A mention of Amravati can be found on a stone inscription on the base of the marble statue of God Adinath (Jain God) Rishabhnath. The statues date back to the year 1097. “GovindMahaPrabhu” visited Amravati in the 13th century, when Wardha was under the rule of Deogiri‘s Hindu King (Yadava dynasty). In the 14th century, there was drought and famine in Amravati, so people abandoned Amravati and left for Gujrat and Malwa. Though some locals returned after several years, this resulted in a scanty population. In the 17th century, Magar Aurangpura (today, ‘Sabanpura’) was allotted for a Jama Masjid by Mughal Aurangzeb. This indicates the existence of a Muslim population. In 1722, ChhattrapatiShahu presented Amravati and Badnera to RanojiBhosle; eventually, Amravati was known as Bhosleki Amravati. The city was reconstructed and developed by RanojiBhosle after the treaty of Devgaon and Anjangaon Surji and victory over Gavilgad (Fort of Chikhaldara). The British general and author Wellesly camped in Amravati, the place is still known as ‘camp’. Amravati city was founded towards the end of the 18th century. The Union state of Nizam and Bhosle ruled Amravati. They appointed a revenue officer but neglected defence. The Gavilgad fort was conquered by the British on 15 December 1803. Under the Deogaon treaty, Warhad was presented as a token of the friendship to the Nizam.
Warhad was ruled by the Nizams thereafter. Around 1805, the Pindaris attacked Amravati.
The Sahukars (bankers and merchants) of Amravati saved Amravati by presenting seven lakh rupees to Chittu Pindari. The Nizam ruled for more than half-century. From 1859 to 1871, many government buildings were constructed by the British. The Railway Station was constructed in 1859; the Commissioner Bungalow in 1860, the Small Causes Court in 1886, (today, the S.D.O. OFFICE), the Tahsil Office & the Main Post Office were built in 1871. The Central Jail, Collector’s Office, the Rest House, and Cotton Market were also built.
The Municipal AV High School was inaugurated at the hands of Subhas Chandra Bose. Amravati housed the head office of ‘SavinayAwagyaAndolan'(The Civil Disobedience Movement). On 26 April 1930, water was taken from ‘Dahihanda’ for the famous ‘NamakSatyagrah’, Dr.Soman brought seawater from Mumbai for the occasion. About ten thousand people prepared salt under the leadership of Vamanrao Joshi.
Udumbaravati is the ancient name of Amravati. It was due to the presence of a large number of Audumber trees in the region. Umbravati, Umravati& Amravati are derivatives of Udumbaravati. The city grew rapidly at the end of the 18th century due to growth in businesses.
Amravati Municipal Corporation is the local authority in the city. It is headed by a mayor who is assisted by a deputy mayor elected for a tenure of three years. It was established on 15 August 1983. The area governed by the Municipal Corporation at that time was 121.65 km2 comprising the erstwhile Municipal Councils of Amravati and Badnera along with eighteen revenue villages. Now the total area of Amravati city is 270 km2 of which 181 km2 falls under municipal limits and about 89 km2 does not fall within the municipal limits.
Amravati district’s police are headed by Police Commissioner. The city has ten police stations. Regarding Public Health System, The District General Hospital, Previously Known as The Lord Irwin Hospital is Situated at the Dr.BabasahebAmbedkar Square, previously known as the Irwin Square. This Hospital is Headed by the civil Surgeon.